As I reviewed my
First - the school year. I'm a counselor as well as a permanent student (when am I not starting grad school or applying for grad school or dropping out of grad school?)
Second - my birthday month. My "age year" starts in August.
Thus, compare the resolutions I made in January with the goals I set in August:
January 2010 New Year Resolutions:
- Get a literary agent - EPIC FAIL, wasn't even ready to try
- Get my dancer's ability back (and the athletic body that went with it) - the body's back, but not the ability
- Get my insulin/glucose issues checked out and managed - found a terrible doctor who didn't help at all, but I have managed to control my sugar levels so that I have less drops
- Get a book deal - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAsee epic fail above
- Make a lot more money than I have in the last 3 years (which means I need to stop applying to graduate programs and focus on working!) Yeah...try "made double what I made during the recession...when I was UNEMPLOYED.
August 2010 Birthday and Year Ahead Goals:
- Get a job that earns at least XXk a year, one which I enjoy and with great coworkers/clients Took first step - will be leaving my job in the beginning of next year
- Become entirely financially independent Not sure I'll ever get here as a writer, but my net worth is looking a little better
- Finish revising my query novel First beta reader already returned manuscript, sending to teen beta reader this winter
- Get a literary agent Will query by second quarter next year
- Get a commercial agent Will start networking
- Lose 5 pounds or trim 1-2 inches from my waistline EPIC WIN Lost double that and hit waistline target!
- Train in dance again Hitting hip-hop classes when I can; will return to other styles once we move
- Visit grandparents in Taipei for Chinese New Year My dad and I will hopefully make this happen, although I'm not looking forward to a 16-hour flight without Jifo to lean on
How did you all do with your 2010 resolutions? Do you also find another season or time is better for goal-setting?